The Complete Meter Test
Below are instructions on how to check your meter to find out how much water is being lost due to a leak. Knowing the volume of loss will help your leak specialist to understand the potential size of the leak. Also, after a leak detection repair is completed, check the meter again to make sure all the leaks have been repaired.
- This test should be conducted for a 30 minute period, during which time no water is being used on the property.
- Find your water meter, which is usually located in front of the house in a covered box near the street.
- Write down the numbers indicated on the meter at the start of this test.
- Return to check the meter reading after 30 minutes have passed.
- If the numbers have not changed, you do not have a leak in your pressurized water system.
If the numbers have changed, continue with the following steps.
- Shut off the valves under all toilets in the house, and repeat steps 1-4.
- If the numbers have not changed, you may have a running toilet that should be serviced.
If the numbers have changed, this indicates water consumption even though water was not being used during the test, and you may need a leak detection.