Earth Day is Monday, April 22, 2013. Here are 5 easy tips that will benefit Mother Earth and your wallet!
1. Save Energy by washing your laundry in COLD water only! Energy used by washing machines goes to heating the water. Choosing to launder on the cold cycle usually costs 5-10 times less than using warmer settings.
2. Wash your dirty dishes in the dishwasher vs. hand-washing. Washing dishes in the dishwasher (vs. hand-washing them) will not only SAVE MORE water, it will save you money on your water bill. Make sure you only turn on the dishwasher when it’s fully loaded.
3. Drink Tap vs. buying bottled water. It’s actually safer and more regulated than bottled water. It will also SAVE you money and save on the environment.
Get YOUR cool water bottle at NeverWaste.org!
4. Check for water leaks around your home. Check regularly for water leaks and make sure you have no water leaks and that your smart irrigation timers are working correctly. In Ventura, water early or later in the day to avoid evaporation.
5. Grow beautiful native plants in your garden. Spring time is a time for planting beautiful trees, bushes and flowers. Go for plants native to the Ventura area that require less (or no water) to grow. Visit: Ventura.watersavingplants.com