Shana’s Column in the November 2012 Pipeline
Thanksgiving traditionally heralds the holiday shopping season – Black Friday and Cyber Monday. So are you thinking of that perfect gift that someone won’t return, put in the back of the closet, or re-gift to a mutual acquaintance? Here are Ventura Water’s favorite gift suggestions:
5. Broom – Many of us prefer to wash down a driveway or patio because we just feel it will be cleaner, but Ventura Water encourages you to go out and get a quality broom or pressure wash broom that uses less water than a hose to get the job done. The person in your household who does this chore will now have a new device and enjoy the job.
4. Dry Shampoo – I was talking to a friend who bragged that she no longer needs to wash her hair more than two times a week because of “dry shampoo.” So what is dry shampoo? Many people use baby powder to take the “grit” out of your hair so it feels clean, but this is an actual special product. With dry shampoo, you can take shorter showers and save water.
3. Washer – For those families that have worn out the washing machine, use your dollars for a water-saving washing machine that will reduce your water bill for long-term savings. Look for ones that have earned the ENERGY STAR label. They meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the EPA and the U.S. Department of Energy.
2. Camera – You may be thinking: how can water be saved with a camera? In this issue, you’ll read about the winning films for the Water: Take 1 Short Film Contest. With a camera, you can create a film that communicates the value of water and how important it is to the vitality of Ventura, and enter it in next year’s contest. Give a camera and in the card, write watertake1.com to inspire the next winner.
1. Toilet – The top choice of a gift is something everyone will use every day. Purchase a WaterSense toilet, either ultra-low flush or dual flush, and the gift recipient will save water and money for years to come.
Finally, you may choose to support Giving Tuesday (launched on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving) that encourages financial giving to charitable organizations. There are many organizations that collect donations to help those in desperate times pay their utility bills or communities in developing countries build healthy water systems.
Whether you use Ventura Water’s gift tips or not, we hope you and your family have a wonderful time preparing for the Holiday Season.
Ventura Water General Manager